2. Portal Description
The Portal was made to allow you, the UHN Patient ("Patient") and your invited Shared Access Users (explained below), to see some of your personal health information in your hospital record, such as test results, visit summaries, and upcoming appointments. The Portal also has links to educational materials related to health conditions, tests and hospital procedures, which you can choose to use. You may also choose to have alerts sent to you when new actions take place in the Portal (such as when a new test result is available or you have an upcoming appointment). These messages will be sent to the email you provide and will only tell you to go to the Portal - they will not contain the actual content of the result, report, message, etc. You may choose to download your appointments from the Portal into your own scheduling system or electronic device. Downloads will only be sent to the location you select. Downloads will include the type, location, date and time of appointment.
3. Shared Access Users
A ‘Shared Access User’ is someone that you, the Patient, wish to share some or all of your personal health information with. You can invite the person or persons you wish to share your personal health information with to create a Shared Access account using your Portal account, with the option to share views of your appointment schedules, test result information, or both appointments and test results. Shared Access Users are initiated only through the patient Portal account, and cannot be requested through any other means. Sharing options can be changed or discontinued by you at any time. Email alerts or notifications regarding your personal health information are not sent to Shared Access Users.
4. Registering for Portal Accounts
If you want to use the Portal, instructions on how to create a personal Portal account and how to use the Portal securely will be available on the UHN Public Website, and in accordance with UHN's information management policies and procedures. Both individual Patients and their invited Shared Access Users must create accounts. If the Portal changes (in terms of features or functions or information displayed), these terms and the UHN policies and procedures that apply may also change. It is your responsibility to follow any instructions provided to protect your information.
5. Portal Login and Use
Only you will have access to the Portal using your Portal account. Each Patient or Shared Access User has their own Portal account. Your account consists of an email address ("Email Address") and a password ("Password"). You are responsible for keeping your Password confidential. You are also responsible for all activities that happen using your Email Address and Password. You agree to tell UHN immediately of any unauthorized use of your Email Address and/or Password or any other breach of security. UHN will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from UHN's failure or your failure to protect your Email Address or Password from loss or inappropriate use. You agree that it is your responsibility to protect the materials you download or print from the Portal.
You agree to take steps to protect your login, your personal health information or that of the individual who is sharing access to his or her personal health information with you, and downloaded information. It is recommended that you follow the steps described in the Recommended Security Practices document (found at the end of the document).
6. Provision and Use of Portal is Voluntary
The Portal is not required to provide or get care at UHN. As a result:
- Your use of the Portal is voluntary. You may choose to not use the Portal, stop using the Portal, or deactivate your account, or stop sharing access with any of your Shared Access Users at any time. If you decide to not use or stop using the Portal, the care you get at UHN will not be affected. If you decide not to continue using the Portal, or if your access to the Portal is stopped for any reason, your Portal account will be deactivated. If you decide to deactivate your account, your Shared Access Users will no longer have access to that view. Navigate to 'Account Settings' of the Portal or contact myUHN Support at email@example.com to deactivate your account.
- Provision by UHN of the Portal and any of its specific functions is entirely voluntary. UHN may at any time change or terminate, temporarily or permanently, the Portal (or any part or function thereof) without telling you before. UHN shall have no liability to you or any third party for changing, suspending or discontinuing the Portal or any part thereof. In the event of any termination, you are no longer authorized to access the Portal, or the part of the Portal affected by such termination. The restrictions imposed on you with respect to material downloaded from the Portal and the disclaimers and limitations of liabilities set forth in this Agreement shall survive any discontinuance or termination of the Portal or this Agreement.
7. Portal Content Is Not a Substitute for Medical Advice
The information provided in the Portal is not a substitute for advice from your health care provider. Using the Portal is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have or suspect you have a health problem, please talk to your care provider.
Do not use the Portal to communicate or treat medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency, call a physician, qualified health care provider or 911 immediately, or go to the nearest Emergency Department in your area. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on the Portal.
Always seek the advice of a physician, or other qualified health care provider, concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from the Portal and any medical conditions you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never ignore professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Portal. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health care provider before starting a new treatment, diet or fitness program. General health information in the Portal is not exhaustive and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment. Any tools provided on the Portal are provided for general and illustrative purposes only, and are not intended to be a substitute for medical advice.
8. Limits of the Portal
- Use of the Portal (such as viewing or entering information) is not a communication with your doctor or any other health care provider.
- The Portal does not create a relationship between you and a health care provider.
- The personal health information related to you that is displayed in the Portal is not your official hospital record, but is only a copy of a part of it. Not all information in your record is displayed. If you would like to access your full record please talk to your care provider or contact Health Records [http://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Patient_Services/Pages/health_records.aspx]
- Any information that you enter into the Portal does not become part of your medical record, unless you are told otherwise.
- The Portal does not endorse nor have any responsibility for Content or providers of third party links. The Portal contains third party content and links. Neither UHN nor its physicians, employees or other representatives have any responsibility or liability for, or (unless clearly stated on the Portal) recommend or endorse, any information or brand of products or services that may be available on the Portal through such Content or links.
- The Portal and the Content are provided "as is" – in other words, UHN makes no representation, warranties or covenants, express or implied, regarding the Portal, including, without limitation, no representation, warranty or covenant that (i) the functions of or the Content made available through the portal will be of merchantable quality, fit for a particular purpose, uninterrupted or virus-free or error-free, or that the content will be accurate, complete, current, reliable or timely; or that (ii) the communications to or from the Portal will be secure and/or not intercepted; not that any information sent or received over the internet is generally not secure. The Portal transmits your personal health information over the internet. Information transmitted over the internet may be at risk of inadvertent loss or theft. UHN cannot guarantee the security of any information transmitted to or from the Portal. By using the Portal, you agree that your access and use of the Portal and the Content is entirely at your own risk and liability.
9. Privacy of Personal Health Information
When UHN collects, uses and gives you access to the personal health information in your hospital record, and collects new information from you through the Portal, UHN follows UHN's information handling policies and procedures and the Personal Health Information Protection Act ("PHIPA"). UHN must also follow the rules set out in the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act, which applies to administrative type information (such as the number of users) that does not identify you.
Patient personal health information contained on the Portal will be protected and only authorized UHN personnel, you (Patient), and persons designated by you (Shared Access Users) will have access to your personal health information.
More information about UHN's privacy policies and procedures is available at http://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Patient_Safety_Advocacy/Privacy/Pages/privacy_policy.aspx or by contacting our Privacy Office at 416-340-4800 ext. 6937.
10. Limitation of liability
In no event shall UHN, its physicians, other qualified health care providers, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and their respective successors and assigns be liable for any damages of any kind, including without limitation, any direct, special, indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages (and including without limitation any loss or damages in the nature of or relating to medical injury, personal injury, wrongful death, improper diagnosis, inaccurate information, improper treatment or any other loss incurred in connection with your use, misuse or reliance upon the Portal or the Content, or your inability to use the Portal, regardless of the cause and whether arising in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise. The foregoing limitation shall apply even if UHN knew of or ought to have known of the possibility of such damages.
Portal participation by Patient or Shared Access User is entirely voluntary and provided only as a convenience for each Patient. As a result, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless UHN, its physicians, other qualified health care providers, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and their respective successors and assigns, from and against any and all claims, demands, liabilities, costs, or expenses whatsoever, including, without limitation, legal fees and disbursements, resulting directly or indirectly from (i) your breach of any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, or (ii) your access to, use, misuse, reliance upon or inability to access or use the Portal or the Content.
12. Copyright and Limited License
The Content is protected by copyright law and is owned by UHN and its licensors, or the party accredited as the provider of the Content. Except as granted in the limited licenses herein, any use of the Content, including modification, transmission, presentation, distribution, republication, or other exploitation of the Portal or of its Content, whether in whole or in part, is prohibited without the express prior written consent of UHN. Subject to the terms and conditions of the Agreement, you are hereby granted a limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to access, view and use the Portal and the Content for your personal, non-commercial use. You are granted the right to download, store and/or print single copies of items comprising the content (including, where made available on the Portal, downloads of software) for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such content. You may not copy and/or repost items comprising the Content online other than within this Portal. You must also abide by any additional requirements governing the use of any special Content that may be set out in the Portal. In the event of a conflict between the terms of a license governing specific content and this Agreement, the terms of the specific license shall govern.
13. General Legal Terms and Conditions
- Use prohibited where contrary to law. Use of this Portal is unauthorized in any jurisdiction where the Portal or any of the Content may violate any laws or regulations. You agree not to access or use the Portal in such jurisdictions. You agree that you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws or regulations. Any contravention of this provision (or any provision of this Agreement) is entirely at your own risk.
- Governing law and jurisdiction. The Portal is operated by UHN from its offices within the Province of Ontario, Canada. You agree that all matters relating to this Agreement, or your access or use of the Portal and its Content shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein, without regard to conflict of laws principles. You agree and hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario with respect to all matters relating to your access and use of the Portal and the Content as well as any dispute that may arise therefrom.
- Waiver. Any consent by UHN to, or waiver of, a breach of this Agreement which you have committed, whether express or implied, shall not constitute a consent to, or waiver of any other, different or subsequent breach.
- Severability. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement or any covenant contained herein shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision or covenant contained herein and any such invalid provision or covenant shall be deemed severable from the rest of the Agreement.
- Entire Agreement. This is the entire Agreement between you and UHN relating to your access and use of the Portal.
14. How to get your Questions Answered
- If you have questions or comments about how to use the Portal, please refer to the 'Help' section of this Portal or contact myUHN Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions, concerns, or corrections about your information (such as a test result or report), please contact a member of your health care team or discuss this with them at your next appointment.
- If you have comments, questions or concerns about how your information in handled or protected in the Portal, contact the UHN Privacy Office at 416-340-4800 ext. 6937.
- Contact myUHN Support about any suspicious activity so we can investigate it. Malicious activity will be addressed according to UHN policy and/or as permitted by law.
15. Express Consent to Receiving Electronic Messages from UHN
By using the Portal, I hereby expressly consent to receiving electronic messages from UHN, including alerts and reminders to check the Portal for new or updated personal health information, notifications about Portal availability, requests for your feedback about the Portal, and other important communications from UHN and its programs and other UHN offerings.
Here are the recommended steps you should take to protect your information or the information of the individual who has granted you access to his or her personal health information (you may choose to take other steps as well):
Keep your email address and password confidential.
Choose a password that you do not use for any other system.
- The password must have a minimum of 8 characters, contain at least one (1) uppercase letter, one (1) lowercase letter, and one (1) number, and does not have user’s first or last name in it.
- Sign out of your account every time when you are done using the Portal (before closing the internet browser window or computer you are using).
- Change your password immediately if you believe that someone else knows your password.
- If asked to “save your password”, you will answer “no”. Passwords saved on a local computer or other device increases the risk of someone else using your account.
- Choose a password that you do not use for any other system.
Ensure that no one is “shoulder-surfing” or watching you when viewing or adding in your information.
- Choose a private space (like your home) over a public space (like on public transportation) to access the Portal.
- Avoid using free or untrusted wireless internet (‘Wi-Fi’) to access the portal.
Protect the health information (like clinic notes and appointments) and general health information (like a pamphlet about a health condition) that you download or print.
- Do not download documents to a public or shared computer.
- Store it in a safe location (like a locked cabinet or on a personal electronic device that is encrypted).
- Transport it securely.