2. Portal Description
The Portal was made to allow you, the UHN Patient ("Patient") and your invited Shared Access Users (explained below), to see some of your personal health information in your hospital record, such as test results, visit summaries, and upcoming appointments. The Portal also has links to educational materials related to health conditions, tests and hospital procedures, which you can choose to use. You may also choose to have email notices and reminders sent to you when new actions take place in the Portal (such as when a new test result is available or you have an upcoming appointment). See section 16 – Portal Use and Electronic Messaging for more information.
3. Ontario Lab Information
The Portal has a feature where you can access your Ontario Lab information results in real-time through a third party link with the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS), which is operated by the Ministry of Health (Ministry). OLIS contains lab results from over 150 hospitals, community and public health labs in Ontario. See Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) for a complete list of participating laboratories across Ontario. The OLIS Database stores your laboratory test result information, and lab requisition information such as the health care provider who ordered and performed the test.
Your OLIS Lab Information may not be complete. For example, most, but not all Ontario labs send test results to the OLIS Database. Additionally, there may be a delay between the time the lab processes your result and the time the lab sends your information to the OLIS Database.
The Limits of the Portal (Section 9) including those set out in Third Party Links apply to your use of OLIS through myUHN.
4. Shared Access Users
A ‘Shared Access User’ is someone that you, the Patient, may decide to share some or all of your personal health information with. This will include your Ontario Lab Information if you chose to enable this feature. You as a patient are responsible for who you decide to give access to as a Shared Access User. You can invite the person or persons you wish to share your personal health information with to create a Shared Access account using your Portal account, with the option to share views of your appointment schedules, test result information, or both appointments and test results. Shared Access Users are initiated only through the patient Portal account, and cannot be requested through any other means. Sharing options can be changed or discontinued by you at any time. Email alerts or notifications regarding your personal health information are not sent to Shared Access Users. To receive updates, Shared Access Users need to sign in to their account.
5. Registering for Portal Accounts
If you want to use the Portal, instructions on how to create a personal Portal account and how to use the Portal securely will be available on the UHN Public Website, and in accordance with UHN's information management policies and procedures. Both individual Patients and their invited Shared Access Users must create accounts. If the Portal changes (in terms of features or functions or information displayed), these terms and the UHN and Ministry’s policies and procedures that apply may also change. It is your responsibility to follow any instructions provided to protect your information.
6. Portal Login and Use
Only you will have access to the Portal using your Portal account. Each Patient or Shared Access User has their own Portal account. Your account consists of an email address ("Email Address") and a password ("Password"). You are responsible for keeping your Password confidential. You are also responsible for all activities that happen using your Email Address and Password. You agree to tell UHN immediately of any unauthorized use of your Email Address and/or Password or any other breach of security. UHN will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from UHN's failure or your failure to protect your Email Address or Password from loss or inappropriate use. You agree that it is your responsibility to protect the materials you download or print from the Portal.
You agree to take steps to protect your login, your personal health information or that of the individual who is sharing access to his or her personal health information with you, and downloaded information. It is recommended that you follow the steps described below.
How to keep your information private
Here are the recommended steps you should take to protect your information or the information of the individual who has granted you access to his or her personal health information (you may choose to take other steps as well):
- Keep your email address and password confidential.
- Choose a password that you do not use for any other system.
- The password must have a minimum of 8 characters, contain at least one (1) uppercase letter, one (1) lowercase letter, and one (1) number, and does not have user’s first or last name in it.
- Sign out of your account every time when you are done using the Portal (before closing the internet browser window or computer you are using).
- Change your password immediately if you believe that someone else knows your password.
- If asked to “save your password”, you will answer “no”. Passwords saved on a local computer or other device increases the risk of someone else using your account.
- Ensure that no one is “shoulder-surfing” or watching you when viewing or adding in your information.
- Choose a private space (like your home) over a public space (like on public transportation) to access the Portal.
- Avoid using free or untrusted wireless internet (‘Wi-Fi’) to access the portal.
- Protect the health information (like clinic notes and appointments) and general health information (like a pamphlet about a health condition) that you download or print.
- Do not download documents to a public or shared computer.
- Store it in a safe location (like a locked cabinet or on a personal electronic device that is encrypted).
- Transport it securely.
- See Tips on how to protect your health information online.
7. Provision and Use of Portal is Voluntary
The Portal is not required to provide or get care at UHN. As a result:
- Your use of the Portal is voluntary. You may choose to not use the Portal, stop using the Portal, or deactivate your account, or stop sharing access with any of your Shared Access Users at any time. If you decide to not use or stop using the Portal, the care you get at UHN will not be affected. If you decide not to continue using the Portal, or if your access to the Portal is stopped for any reason, your Portal account will be deactivated. If you decide to deactivate your account, your Shared Access Users will no longer have access to that view. Navigate to 'Account Settings' of the Portal or contact myUHN Support at firstname.lastname@example.org to deactivate your account.
- Provision by UHN of the Portal and any of its specific functions is entirely voluntary. UHN may at any time change or terminate, temporarily or permanently, the Portal (or any part or function thereof) without providing notice. UHN shall have no liability to you or any third party for changing, suspending or discontinuing the Portal or any part thereof. In the event of any termination, you are no longer authorized to access the Portal, or the part of the Portal affected by such termination. The restrictions imposed on you with respect to material downloaded from the Portal and the disclaimers and limitations of liabilities set forth in this Agreement shall survive any discontinuance or termination of the Portal or this Agreement.
8. Portal Content Is Not a Substitute for Medical Advice
The information provided in the Portal is not a substitute for advice from your health care provider. Using the Portal is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. If you have or suspect you have a health problem, please talk to your care provider.
Do not use the Portal to communicate or treat medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency, call a physician, qualified health care provider or 911 immediately, or go to the nearest Emergency Department in your area. Under no circumstances should you attempt self-treatment based on anything you have seen or read on the Portal.
Always seek the advice of a physician, or other qualified health care provider, concerning any questions you may have regarding any information obtained from the Portal and any medical conditions you believe may be relevant to you or to someone else. Never ignore professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Portal. Always consult with your physician or other qualified health care provider before starting a new treatment, diet or fitness program. General health information in the Portal is not exhaustive and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment. Any tools provided on the Portal are provided for general and illustrative purposes only, and are not intended to be a substitute for medical advice.
9. Limits of the Portal
- Use of the Portal (such as viewing or entering information) is not a communication with your doctor or any other health care provider.
- The Portal does not create a relationship between you and a health care provider. It is a tool to provide you with your health data as soon as it becomes available. You will often get your results in advance of your next appointment.
- The personal health information related to you that is displayed in the Portal is not your official hospital record, but represents only a part of it. Not all information in your record is displayed. If you would like to access your full record please talk to your care provider or contact Health Records.
- Any information that you enter into the Portal does not become part of your medical record, unless you are told otherwise.
- The Portal contains third party content and links. The Portal does not endorse nor does it have any responsibility for Content or providers of third party links, nor any fees which may be charged by the third party. Neither UHN nor its physicians, employees or other representatives have any responsibility or liability for, or (unless clearly stated on the Portal) recommend or endorse, any information or brand of products or services that may be available on the Portal through such Content or links.
- The Portal and the Content are provided "as is" – in other words, UHN and the Ministry makes no representation, warranties or covenants, express or implied, regarding the Portal, including, without limitation, no representation, warranty or covenant that (i) the functions of or the Content made available through the portal will be of merchantable quality, fit for a particular purpose, uninterrupted or virus-free or error-free, or that the content will be accurate, complete, current, reliable or timely; or that (ii) the communications to or from the Portal will be secure and/or not intercepted; not that any information sent or received over the internet is generally not secure. The Portal transmits your personal health information over the internet. Information transmitted over the internet may be at risk of inadvertent loss or theft. UHN cannot guarantee the security of any information transmitted to or from the Portal. By using the Portal, you agree that your access and use of the Portal and the Content is entirely at your own risk and liability.
10. Privacy of Personal Health Information
When UHN collects, uses and gives you access to the personal health information in your hospital record, and collects new information from you through the Portal, UHN follows UHN's information handling policies and procedures and the Personal Health Information Protection Act ("PHIPA"). UHN must also follow the rules set out in the Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act, which applies to administrative type information (such as the number of users) that does not identify you.
Patient personal health information contained on the Portal will be protected and only authorized UHN personnel, you (Patient), and persons designated by you (Shared Access Users) will have access to your personal health information.
More information about UHN's privacy policies and procedures is available at http://www.uhn.ca/PatientsFamilies/Patient_Safety_Advocacy/Privacy/Pages/privacy_policy.aspx or by contacting our Privacy Office at 416-340-4800 ext. 6937.
11. Limitation of liability
In no event shall UHN, its physicians, other qualified health care providers, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and their respective successors and assigns be liable for any damages of any kind, including without limitation, any direct, special, indirect, punitive, incidental or consequential damages (and including without limitation any loss or damages in the nature of or relating to medical injury, personal injury, wrongful death, improper diagnosis, inaccurate information, improper treatment or any other loss incurred in connection with your use, misuse or reliance upon the Portal or the Content, or your inability to use the Portal, regardless of the cause and whether arising in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise. The foregoing limitation shall apply even if UHN knew of or ought to have known of the possibility of such damages.
Portal participation by Patient or Shared Access User is entirely voluntary and provided only as a convenience for each Patient. As a result, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless UHN, its physicians, other qualified health care providers, officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, and their respective successors and assigns, from and against any and all claims, demands, liabilities, costs, or expenses whatsoever, including, without limitation, legal fees and disbursements, resulting directly or indirectly from (i) your breach of any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, or (ii) your access to, use, misuse, reliance upon or inability to access or use the Portal or the Content.
13. Copyright and Limited License
The Content is protected by copyright law and is owned by UHN and its licensors, or the party accredited as the provider of the Content. Except as granted in the limited licenses herein, any use of the Content, including modification, transmission, presentation, distribution, republication, or other exploitation of the Portal or of its Content, whether in whole or in part, is prohibited without the express prior written consent of UHN. Subject to the terms and conditions of the Agreement, you are hereby granted a limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive license to access, view and use the Portal and the Content for your personal, non-commercial use. You are granted the right to download, store and/or print single copies of items comprising the content (including, where made available on the Portal, downloads of software) for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you maintain all copyright and other notices contained in such content. You may not copy and/or repost items comprising the Content online other than within this Portal. You must also abide by any additional requirements governing the use of any special Content that may be set out in the Portal. In the event of a conflict between the terms of a license governing specific content and this Agreement, the terms of the specific license shall govern.
14. General Legal Terms and Conditions
- Use prohibited where contrary to law. You agree that you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws or regulations. Any contravention of this provision (or any provision of this Agreement) is entirely at your own risk.
- Governing law and jurisdiction. The Portal is operated by UHN from its offices within the Province of Ontario, Canada and connects to the Ministry of Health’s (ministry’s) Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) Database. You agree that all matters relating to this Agreement, or your access or use of the Portal and its Content shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein, without regard to conflict of laws principles. You agree and hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario with respect to all matters relating to your access and use of the Portal and the Content as well as any dispute that may arise therefrom.
- Waiver. Any consent by UHN to, or waiver of, a breach of this Agreement which you have committed, whether express or implied, shall not constitute a consent to, or waiver of any other, different or subsequent breach.
- Severability. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement or any covenant contained herein shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision or covenant contained herein and any such invalid provision or covenant shall be deemed severable from the rest of the Agreement.
- Entire Agreement. This is the entire Agreement between you and UHN relating to your access and use of the Portal.
15. How to get your Questions Answered
- If you have questions or comments about how to use the Portal, please refer to the 'Help' section of this Portal or contact myUHN Support at email@example.com.
- If you have questions, concerns, or corrections about your information (such as a test result or report), please contact a member of your health care team or discuss this with them at your next appointment.
- If you have comments, questions or concerns about how your information in handled or protected in the Portal, contact the UHN Privacy Office at 416-340-4800 ext. 6937.
- Contact myUHN Support about any suspicious activity so we can investigate it. Malicious activity will be addressed according to UHN policy and/or as permitted by law.
16. Portal Use and Electronic Messages
Risks of using Electronic Messages (for example, e-mail). All electronic communication carries some risks. Please read the information below on the risks of electronic communication and how to protect your privacy:
- Please do not send email to anyone at UHN for urgent symptoms, questions or in an emergency. If you have an urgent medical issue, please call 911 or visit an Emergency Department or Urgent Care Centre.
- Some care areas may send you a follow-up survey after your appointment by email or text. This is to help us to improve the quality of care we deliver. If you receive a link to a survey and are not sure if it is coming from your care team, please call them to check before clicking on any links.
- Electronic communication, including virtual visits and email, may have some risk. Third parties may take over electronic communication and introduce malware, phishing scams, or other unauthorized access.
- Other people using the Internet may be able to see e-mails sent to or from your care providers or myUHN Support. Electronic messages are easy to forge, find, copy and forward to others. Electronic messages may exist indefinitely (forever). This means that even if you delete your emails, they may still exist.
- UHN is not responsible for the security of patients’ internet service providers, email domains, personal devices or personal computers.
- We suggest that you use your personal email when communicating with health care providers such as UHN and not a work email address, as your employer may have the right to inspect your work email.
- Use a secure internet connection. Do not use a public internet connection such as at the airport internet café, public library or other open area, where it may be easier to “hack” into your email account.
- For more information on how to protect yourself against security risks associated with electronic communication, read this article on UHN.ca: Don’t let a phishing attack reel you in.
- Please contact your care provider or the UHN Privacy Office at (416) 340-4800 ext. 6937 if you do not wish to receive email communication from UHN. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
- Portal and Electronic Messages regarding Important System-Wide Changes. The Portal will send you electronic messages to notify you regarding important system-wide changes to the Portal that may update the portal’s function and security or your use of the Portal. In order to use the Portal, you must agree to receive electronic messages regarding these important system-wide changes.
- Other Electronic Messages from the Portal. The Portal is also able to send you electronic messages (e-mails) regarding notices and reminders about new or updated personal health and appointment information. These messages may contain some limited personal health information about your appointment, documentation of your care and your test results. You may choose to download your appointments from the Portal into your own scheduling system or electronic device. Downloads will only be sent to the location you select. Downloads will include the type, location, date and time of appointment. The Portal is also able to send you notifications about Portal availability, requests for your feedback about the Portal, and other important communications from UHN and its programs and other UHN offerings such as patient experience surveys and quality improvement initiatives. You may unsubscribe to receive these types of electronic messages from Portal by signing into your account and clicking on Email Notices under Account Settings. For further information, please contact myUHN Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
USER CONSENT FOR COLLECTION, USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND THE UNIVERSITY HEALTH NETWORK THROUGH THE MYUHN PATIENT PORTAL
- The University Health Network (UHN) owns the myUHN Patient Portal (“myUHN”), which is connected to the Ministry of Health’s (ministry’s) Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) Database.
- The OLIS Database contains all of your laboratory test result information submitted to the ministry by participating laboratories across Ontario (“Ontario Lab Information”). Ontario Lab information includes lab requisition and result information and test results ordered and performed by health care providers that work inside and/or outside of UHN.
- Your Lab Information may not be complete. For example, most, but not all Ontario labs send test results to the OLIS Database. Additionally, there may be a delay between the time the lab processes your result and the time the lab sends your information to the OLIS Database.
- By using myUHN to access your Ontario Lab Information, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the following:
- That UHN may disclose your name, health card number, date of birth and sex (“identifying information about you”) as well as information about accessing your myUHN account and Ontario Lab Information (“activity information”) to the ministry for the following purposes:
- so the ministry can ensure that it correctly identifies you and can disclose your Ontario Lab Information to UHN; and
- so the ministry can document accesses to your Ontario Lab Information within activity logs to respond to an inquiry from you, to monitor for suspicious activity on your account, to investigate a privacy breach incident or to verify your consent to access (or any withdrawal of your consent to access) your Ontario Lab Information through myUHN.
- That the ministry may disclose your Ontario Lab Information and activity information to UHN for the following purposes:
- so UHN can facilitate your access to your Ontario Lab Information through myUHN;
- so UHN can facilitate the access of any other individual you have permitted to have access to your Ontario Lab Information through myUHN (“Shared Access User”); and
- so UHN can respond to an inquiry from you or to investigate a privacy breach incident.
- Any consent directives you have made that would otherwise prevent health care providers from viewing all of your Lab Information will not apply when the ministry discloses your Ontario Lab Information to you or any of your Shared Access User(s) via myUHN.
- Where you have applied a consent directive to your Ontario Lab Information, myUHN will notify you and any of your Shared Access User(s) of the existence of that consent directive each time there is an access made to your Ontario Lab Information through myUHN.
- By permitting a Shared Access User to have access to your Ontario Lab Information through myUHN, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the following:
- UHN may disclose your Ontario Lab Information to the Shared Access User until you instruct UHN to terminate the Shared Access User’s access to your Ontario Lab Information, or until the Shared Access User instructs UHN to terminate their access to it.
- When UHN discloses your Ontario Lab Information to your Shared Access User, it will not apply any consent directive that you have made that would otherwise prevent health care providers from viewing all of your Ontario Lab Information. If you do not want your Shared Access User(s) to disclose some or all of your Ontario Lab Information that they have accessed through myUHN, it is your responsibility to advise them of these restrictions.
- You understand the following:
- You may choose to stop using myUHN to access your Ontario Lab Information at any time by contacting the myUHN Support Desk Monday-Friday from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm at 416-340-3777 or at email@example.com.
- Your withdrawal will have no effect on the identifying information about you and the activity information disclosed to the Ministry before the date of your withdrawal.
- The Ministry will only otherwise collect, use or disclose the identifying information about you and the activity information as permitted or required by the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004.
- UHN will only use or disclose your Ontario Lab Information and activity information under this User Consent Form for the purposes of providing you with access to your Lab Information, disclosing your Ontario Lab Information to your Shared Access Users (as applicable), responding to an inquiry from you related to your Ontario Lab Information or to investigate a privacy breach incident.
- The Ministry and UHN do not make any representations and cannot confirm the accuracy, completeness, reliability, currency or veracity of your Ontario Lab Information made available through the myUHN Patient Portal.
- Your Ontario Lab Information is available in myUHN only for the duration of the session.
You agree to direct any inquiries you may have regarding potential errors with your Ontario Lab information to the health care provider(s) who ordered your test(s).